A Look at Vertical Banded Gastroplasty
Vertical banded gastroplasty, also called stomach stapling, is a type of bariatric surgical procedure that is performed as a treatment for obesity. It causes weight loss by decreasing the amount of food you can eat by reshaping the stomach to reduce the amount of food it can hold. On average, a normal human stomach can hold 4-6 cups of food; the surgical stapling performed during this procedure results in a stomach pouch that can hold only one cup and is about the size of a small egg.
The success of vertical banded gastroplasty is very dependent on the patient’s commitment to making necessary lifestyle changes. If the doctor’s instructions are carefully followed and dietary changes are made and maintained, a patient is more likely to reap the benefits of bariatric surgery. These benefits include:
- Weight loss
- Improvement in many obesity-related chronic health conditions, such as sleep apnea, hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, and diabetes
- Reduced risk of dying from cardiovascular diseases, such as stroke or heart attack
- Improved mobility and stamina
- Enhanced self-esteem and quality of life
Just like every other bariatric surgery program, each vertical banded gastroplasty patient must meet very specific requirements to be qualified for the procedure. These programs generally include a thorough physical exam and the evaluation of medical history and an effort to lose weight through medically approved dietary means before considering surgery. Patients are also typically required to attend ongoing consultations with a registered dietician and to receive mental health evaluation and counseling.
If you are interested in the possibilities of weight loss surgery, consult the professionals of the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Riverside Community Hospital. We offer minimally-invasive bariatric surgery alternatives that reduce the pain, scarring, and chances of infection associated with traditional open procedures. Contact our staff at (951) 788-3000 to learn more.
- Bariatric Procedure Profile: LapBand Surgical Weight Loss Procedure
- Riverside Community Hospital Names New Chief Medical Officer
- The Well-Woman Exam: Every Woman, Every Year – Scott Hayworth, MD
- Stroke Awareness and Treatment [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Plan Healthier Meals to Manage Your Diabetes Through the Holidays